Grilled Shrimp Cocktail
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves , peeled and grated on a Microplane grater
- 3 cups ice
For each of the shrimp, using a paring knife, cut along the curve of the back of the shrimp, and remove the vein, keeping the shells intact. Clip the feet off with a small pair of scissors.
Place the shrimp in the brine and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat all grates of a well-oiled charcoal or gas grill to medium.
3. Remove the shrimp from the brine and lightly pat dry with paper towels.
In a bowl, toss the shrimp in the canola oil.
In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, and chives. Set aside.
4. Place the shrimp on the grate, close the lid, and grill for 4 minutes. Flip to the second side and grill for 4 minutes.
5. Remove from the grill and immediately place in the bowl with the olive oil mixture, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve with cocktail sauce and lemon wedges on the side.
From Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. Copyright © 2009. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All rights reserved.