Green Lentil Salad with Kale, Carrots, Asparagus, and Dijon Dressing Recipe
Serves 10 to 12
- 2 cups organic reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup green du Puy lentils
- 6 ounces carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 ounces asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 6 Tbsp. organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. raw cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 4 large leaves kale, ribs removed, leaves chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 medium-size red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the stock and lentils and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the lentils are about 6 minutes from being tender, about 15 minutes. Add the carrots, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the asparagus, cover, and cook until the lentils are tender but not mushy, the vegetables are tender, and the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and mustard. Drain the lentil mixture, if necessary, then add it to the bowl, stirring to thoroughly combine. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
Add the kale, onion, and tarragon. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve chilled or room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Clean Plates Cookbook © 2012 by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.
More Healthy & Fast Recipes