- 1 pound sliced gluten-free bread
- 6 hot or mild Italian sausages , casings removed
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup and 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small celery ribs , chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small carrots , chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3 yellow onions , peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter , cut into 8 Tbsp.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 green apples , peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup walnuts , coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 6 cups chicken broth , homemade or store-bought
- 1 fresh lemon , squeezed for juice
- 6 scallions , chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup Italian parsley , finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves , finely chopped
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. cracked pepper
Slice the bread into 1-inch cubes, place in a large bowl and add the onion powder, garlic powder and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Using your hands, mix everything together well. Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until the bread has turned a golden color—approximately 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the oven. Flip the bread over halfway through baking using a spatula to make sure it is evenly baked. Remove from oven and let the bread cubes cool on the baking sheet for 2 hours to give them time to harden if you want to use them right away.
To make stuffing: Preheat the oven to 325°.
When ready to make the stuffing, cook the sausages first. Heat a heavy skillet over high heat until hot. Add the sausages and break up the meat using a metal spatula into small pieces. Cook until the meat has browned and has started to caramelize, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
Heat a large cast-iron or heavy-bottom skillet on medium-high heat for 1 minute.
Add 1/3 cup olive oil, and then the butter. No need for the butter to completely melt before adding vegetables.
Quickly add onions, celery and carrots. Cook until the onions release their juices and start to caramelize (about 8 to 10 minutes). Add white wine and cook until almost evaporated.
Place the bread cubes in a bowl large enough to mix the stuffing when the vegetables are added.
Add the cooked sausages, green apples, walnuts and raisins to the bread cubes. Add 1 quart of chicken stock 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. If the stuffing is too dry after adding all of the chicken stock, add more broth 1/2 cup at a time. You may end up with some leftover chicken stock. Save in your refrigerator.
Add the lemon juice, scallions, parsley, thyme, kosher salt and cracked pepper and mix well using a wooden spoon. Correct seasoning by adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
Place in a baking pan, cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake at 325° for 1 hour.