Conchiglie all'Arrabiata Recipe
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 8 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 28-ounce cans San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 16 basil leaves
- 1 pound fresh shell pasta
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 basil leaves (for garnish)
- A few tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
Saute onion and sliced garlic with extra-virgin olive oil in a medium saucepot. When onion is translucent, add red wine vinegar and bring to a boil. Add peeled tomatoes and 16 whole basil leaves and drop to a low simmer. Reduce until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce is thick.
Remove sauce from heat and season with two tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and kosher salt to taste. Put sauce to the side and keep warm.
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. While pasta is boiling, saute diced shallot and garlic in a large saucepan until translucent, then add the fresh thyme and crushed red pepper. Stir, then add the dry white wine. Bring to a boil, then add reserved sauce.
Pour cooked pasta into pan with sauce and stir to coat evenly. Transfer pasta to serving dishes, then garnish with Parmesan and basil.