Chocolate Cake (with Beets)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil or trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup beet puree
- 1/2 cup lowfat 1 percent buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar with the oil or margarine until creamy. Add the whole egg and egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the melted chocolate, beet puree, buttermilk and vanilla.
Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and beat until smooth.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Let the cake cool 5 minutes in pan before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the frosting. Beat the cream cheese with the confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla until smooth. Slice the cake in half horizontally. Spread the frosting over the top and between layers of the cooled cake.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
From the book Deceptively Delicious SM