Chicken Almond Ding
- 3 tablespoons low sodium Tamari
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breast , skinned, boned, and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 pound mushrooms , cleaned and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 stalks celery , cut into 1/4-inch diagonal slices
- 1/8 pound pea pods , trimmed
- 3 scallions , thinly sliced (use both the bulb and the green leaves)
- 1 cup lightly toasted almonds *
- 1 teaspoon (toasted) Asian sesame oil (available in natural food stores)
For stir-fry: Heat a wok or large skillet. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Stir-fry the broccoli over medium heat until it turns a bright color, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Reheat the wok. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Stir-fry the mushrooms, celery and pea pods for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the wok and set aside.
Reheat the wok. Add the remaining tablespoon of the olive oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon, add to the wok, and stir-fry until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Add all the vegetables and the almonds, and stir to mix well. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame oil. Serve immediately over cooked whole oats or barley.
* To toast the almonds, place in a preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.