Bean-Corn Soccer Ball Soup
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 sticks celery
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable bouillon or 1 stock cube
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup masa or 1 cup fine corn flour
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Herbamare or sea salt
When ready to make soup, drain the soaking liquid of the beans and add about 5 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil and let them simmer for about 1 hour.
Prepare your veggies by cutting them into small dices, and mince the garlic.
Heat olive oil in a soup pot and saut?? onion with a pinch of sea salt for a minute. Add the garlic, lemon zest, herbs and remaining veggies and continue to saut?? for several minutes. Add the veggies to the beans along with the vegetable bouillon. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, make the soccer balls. Combine masa, spelt flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Puree one cup of the corn kernels until ground up, and add the ground and the rest of the whole corn kernels. Drizzle in enough liquid to bind so you can form it into balls. Roll into little walnut-size balls and add to the simmering soup along with the coconut milk.
Allow to continue simmering for about 10 minutes. Serve the soup sprinkled with fresh parsley.
- Other white beans such as navy or cannelini can be used.
- You can use whatever colorful vegetable combinations you choose???leek, squash and carrot is one possibility.
- You can use sea salt or herb salt to season in place of the bouillon. Alternatively, you could season with white miso and add a dash of umeboshi vinegar.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving.
- You can spice the soup up by adding some fresh or dried chili pepper or black pepper.