Behind The Scenes of Oprah's June 2017 Cover
Photo: Ruven Afanador
The O team has cover shoots down to a science, but sometimes spontaneity is the order of the day. The crew was just starting to set up lights in Oprah’s Maui home, the jewelry options were being methodically arranged, and the snacks were about to make an appearance, when our cover model had a flash of inspiration: “Let’s go to the beach!” And faster than you can say “Surf’s up!” everyone headed to the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea. After a few last-minute shirt changes on the sand (using beach towels as a makeshift dressing room), Oprah kicked off her flip-flops and made a splash. “Isn’t this incredible?” she called out. “I’ll take the sky and the sea over an afternoon under hot lights any day.” Here’s to the exhilarating rush of an unplanned adventure!
On Oprah: Tee, Majestic Filatures, $165; NeimanMarcus.com
Skirt, Camilla; similar styles at Camilla.com
Earrings, Mizuki; Bergdorf Goodman, 212-753-7300
Photo: Greg Vaughn/Perspectives/Getty Images
- Watch the breathtaking sunrise at Haleakalā National Park, as I’ve been lucky enough to do at least a dozen times!
- Hike the bamboo forest on the Pipiwai Trail off the road to Hana, a pristine tropical paradise along Maui’s eastern coast.
- Lounge in one of the 64 poolside or ocean-view cabanas at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea.
- Sip a mango margarita (better known as the Mangorita) at Hali'imaile General Store, a restaurant nestled in the pineapple fields on the lower slopes of Haleakalā.
- Dine on locally inspired seafood dishes at Wolfgang Puck's famed Spago.
Photo: Courtesy of Noir NYC
Noir Jewelry, $80; NoirNYC.com
Photo: Courtesy of Net-a-Porter
Photo: Courtesy of Kempton and Co.