Needing Space from My Place
I think about this place all the time.
I worry about her when I'm away. Did she flood, did she overheat, did someone break in? I love my house, but I need to ease up on our relationship for a bit. So I leave you with this wisdom from Low Maintenance Landscape, a local landscaper that I called for help before deciding to focus on my home's interior.
The following questions, excerpted from the company's Landscape Design Questionnaire, can help you assess your yard needs well before I do:
- What will be the primary uses of your new landscape? Entertainment? Active recreation? Curb appeal? Increase resale value? Romantic places?
- What kind of atmosphere would you like to create in the landscape? Cool? Quiet? Inviting?
- What characteristics would you use to describe your dream garden? Lush? Colorful? Self-sustaining?
- What are some functions and needs of your landscape? Shading the house? Privacy? Erosion control?
- How much time do you presently spend in your garden relaxing and working? How much time would you like to spend outdoors in a landscape that fits your needs?
Simran Sethi is an award-winning journalist and associate professor at the University of Kansas School of Journalism and Mass Communications. For more information on Sethi, visit SimranSethi.com and follow her on Twitter @simransethi.
Water-saving tips for your lawn and garden
The time is now! Shop your local farmer's markets
A new way to think of how we use (and waste) water