Time off? Check. Travel companion? Check. Destination? ... Don't sweat it! Use this list of ideas to pick the perfect vacation spot for you and your travel buddy.
If you're traveling with your best friends...
- Like Oprah and Gayle, you too can take your own road trip adventure—just establish some radio guidelines before you go.
- Find a fabulous spa and spend a long weekend catching up over manis and pedis.
- Bring your A-game—for board games. Rent a great cabin in the woods or just hole up at one of your homes for a weekend of friendly competition.
- Who says Paris is just for lovers? Grab a map, a few changes of clothes and spend a few weeks exploring Europe at your own pace.
If you're traveling with a new love...
- Get out your camping gear, find a nature preserve or national park and spend a few romantic nights cuddling under the stars. Don't forget to make a wish!
- Didn't grow up in the same area? Take turns traveling to your hometowns so you can learn more about each other. Be sure to pack some high school yearbooks and baby pictures so you can share your full childhood experience.
- Take dinner and a movie to the next level. Find a great film festival—how about Maui, Shanghai or Montreal—and buy a pass a weekend pass. You'll never run out of things to talk about.
If you're traveling with a longtime love...
- Visit a winery and stay over in a quaint bed-and-breakfast. Nothing says relaxation more than a bottle of wine and one-on-one time.
- Always wishing you had more quality time with your significant other? Save up your vacation time for an extended trip. Nothing can bring you closer than hiking the mountains of New Zealand, exploring the Australian outback or getting lost in the ancient Incan ruins at Machu Picchu.
- Is the group that sings "your song" touring? Check out the list of tour dates and locations, pick your favorite city and make an event out of it!
If you're traveling solo...
- Rent a cozy cabin in the woods or a house at the beach. Bring a few good books, your journal and leave your phone and computer at home!
- Have you dreamed of taking an African safari, but can't find anyone else who shares your enthusiasm for lions and tigers and...giraffes? Find a tour heading to the one place you've always dreamed of going. Let someone else plan your trip while you spend your time making new friends.
- Big cities are full of adventure—with tons of activities for single travelers. Spend a long weekend exploring museums, seeing a show or shopping!
If you're traveling with young kids...
- Break out the water wings! Find a great place on a lake or at the beach and spend a few lazy days playing in the sand, teaching the kids how to swim and having good old-fashioned cookouts.
- Fancy yourself Clark Griswold. Take your family on a trip to the amusement park of their dreams, ride as many spinning rides as you can and don't forget to indulge in some cotton candy!
- Zoos are a great place to have fun with your kids and teach them important lessons about the animal world and the environment. See if there's a petting zoo for a more hands-on experience.
If you're traveling with older children or teenagers...
- Use your vacation to help change the lives of others—and teach your kids a valuable lesson about charity at the same time. Together you can volunteer to build homes with Habitat for Humanity, help with the cleanup in New Orleans or even travel abroad to help other countries in need.
- Spending part of your summer scouting colleges? Stay a weekend at your top choices and live like a local. College towns are always bustling with activity, so take in a sporting event, attend a concert or theater performance and spend some time at the student center.
- Nothing says summer more than baseball. Pick a week to follow your favorite team from city to city so you can take in games at different stadiums. Don't forget to conduct your own hot dog taste test and then rate the best!
Printed from Oprah.com on Wednesday, March 12, 2014
© 2014 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.