After weeks of hunting, gathering and trying on chic, affordable, curve-flattering clothes (just think of what we've spared you!), we rounded up some great finds in ten wardrobe-building categories.
Where to Get the Best Dresses
This autumn floral dress from Evans ($120), a British plus label new to the United States, has a wrap-style bodice that gives 48-year-old Cindy Kuhn, an actress and vintage-clothing entrepreneur, a long, lean look.
- Abby Z. has head-turning jeweled necklines. (AbbyZ.com)
- Amsale offers high-end evening wear for brides, bridesmaids, and "cocktail" events. (Amsale.com for stores)
- Evans, a sister company of Top Shop, is a terrific source for figure-friendly prints. (EvansLondon.com)
Igigi's fully lined dresses smooth lumps and bumps. (Igigi.com)
- Newport News' jersey has extra spandex for a more comfortable fit. (Newport-News.com)
- Olivia Harper offers well-cut jersey that doesn't cling or bunch up. (LeeLeesValise.com)
- Shape fx makes a sheath dress with a built-in power-liner control slip that slims. (Shapefx.com)
- Z from Zenobia has dependable office wear. (Saks Fifth Avenue; 877-612-7257)
Earrings, Kara Ross. Belt, Lai. Clutch, VBH. Shoes, Miu Miu.
Where to Get the Best Suits
"Most suits are like boxes," volunteer Hilary Harper, 29, says. But not the handsome cut of this denim-look jacket and pants (Rafaella, $100 and $78). "You can see I have a figure!"
- Calvin Klein can be counted on for office basics. (Select Bloomingdale's stores; 800-555-7467)
- Ellen Tracy is a source for modern, appropriate workwear. (Select Saks Fifth Avenue stores; 877-612-7257)
- AK Anne Klein is known for stylish day wear. (Macy's; 800-622-9748
- Kate Hill makes one of our favorite work suits—a single-breasted jacket with a wide-legged trouser. (Lord and Taylor; 800-223-7440)
- Rafaella carries updated classics that also work as separates. (Select Macy's stores; 800-622-9748)
- Semantiks is useful for fall suits, like its stylish day-to-evening tweed pantsuit. (Nordstrom.com) Shell, Z from Zenobia, $525. Watch, Cartier. Bangles, Coomi. Shoes, Banana Republic.
Where to Get the Best Pants
- Jones New York Collection makes a suit pant with an extended tab closure that camouflages the elastic in the waistband. (Macy's; 800-622-9748)
- INC International Concepts offers flattering wide-legged trousers. (Macys.com)
- Lauren by Ralph Lauren designs a winning straight-legged silhouette. (RalphLauren.com)
- Magaschoni makes a superslimming "Magic Pant" that delivers on its promise. (Select Saks Fifth Avenue stores; 877-612-7257)
- Old Navy offers a wide selection at approachable prices. (OldNavy.com)
- Style&Co. has a great full-cut pant. (Macys.com)
Where to Get the Best White Shirts
Calvin Klein's chic modernism is always flattering. (Select Bloomingdale's stores; 800-555-7467)
A large bust can make a blouse pull, creating gaps. But stretch cotton allows room for the bosom.
Gap's reliable classics retain their shape after multiple washes. (Gap.com)
Gayla Bentley's "Obi Sash Blouse" comes with a separate belt to help define a waist. (NeimanMarcus.com)
Kiyonna offers a version designed with a seam under the bust to create a flattering Empire effect. (Kiyonna.com)
Marina Rinaldi is the perfect fit for high-fashion-minded shoppers. (866-362-9872 for stores)
Style&Co. from Macy's, has gently priced shirts. (Macys.com)
The shirt on Sage Salzer, 32, has pintuck seaming that adds a slimming vertical slant (Calvin Klein, $108). Coat and skirt ($550), Marina Rinaldi. Earrings, Charles Garnier. Watch, Emporio Armani. Tights, Hue. Boots, Cole Haan.
Where to Get the Best Jeans
- Eileen Fisher offers a smart new organic-cotton, dark-wash stretch jean. (EileenFisher.com)
- Just My Size makes a great trouser jean with a very discreetly elasticized waistband in back. (WalMart.com)
- Lane Bryant's "Right Fit" denim trouser has a flattering wide leg to offset hips. (LaneBryant.com)
- Not Your Daughter's Jeans " Tummy Tuck Jeans" have panels that suck you in and lift your rear. (Nordstrom.com)
- Paige Premium Denim (select Nordstrom stores; 800-695-8000) and Svoboda by Jessica Svoboda (SvobodaStyle.com) offer styles that are as up-to-the-minute as the trendiest labels.
Where to Get the Best Coats
Anna Scholz makes fashion-forward pieces like a versatile drawstring anorak. (www.annascholz.com)
Activist Linnet Caban-Brown, 26, looks slender in horizontal stripes because they segue from pale to dark.
Gallery's down coats lie surprisingly flat. (Nordstrom; 800-695-8000)
Lafayette 148 New York is a source for high-end sophistication. (Lafayette148.com)
Lane Bryant always has a wide range of reliable options. (LaneBryant.com)
Marina Rinaldi carries beautiful day-to-evening suede. (866-362-9872 for stores)
Newport News makes a cozy, reversible robe coat we love. (Newport-News.com)
Spiegel has a great figure-flattering, single-breasted swing coat. (Spiegel.com)
Coat, top, and skirt, Lafayette 148 New York, $1,298, $198, and $228. Earrings, Melinda Maria. Bracelet, SuperOro for Gold Expressions. Clutch, Ralph Lauren Collection. Tights, DKNY. Boots, Stuart Weitzman.
Where to Get the Best Shoes
- Bella Vita is a youthful line that—like all lines listed here—can accommodate wider feet. (DesignerShoes.com)
- California Magdesians is a fashionable source for footwear that says evening—think metallics and faux skin—without high heels. (Nordstrom.com)
- Lane Bryant has a standout selection of boots. (LaneBryant.com)
- Ros Hommerson offers a range of ankle boots in a versatile, neutral palette. (DesignerShoes.com)
- Söfft has comfortable but not frumpy low-heeled options. (ShoeMall.com)
Where to Get the Best Shapewear
- Barely There has slimming camisoles. (BarelyThere.com)
- Body Wrap offers sleek, modern pieces, like the tank top and bike shorts all-in-one garment. (Macys.com)
- Flexees by Maidenform makes a high-rise control brief (useful now with low-rise jeans on the wane). (FigLeaves.com)
- Grenier combines old-fashioned lace with modern technology. (BraSmyth.com)
- Miraclesuit has a tummy-targeting cincher that helps define the waist. (Macys.com)
- Va Bien builds front panels into many of its pieces for top-notch control. (VabienLingerie.com)
Where to Get the Best Bras
- Chantelle offers silky soft, full-coverage bras. (BareNecessities.com)
- Comfort Choice has a noteworthy range of elegant colors. (Roamans.com)
- Elomi by Eveden makes supersexy bras and matching panties. (HerRoom.com)
- Glamorise's Magic Lift options keep you in place without underwire. (Roamans.com)
- Goddess by Eveden is a favorite for no-line T-shirt bras. (HerRoom.com)
- Le Mystère has a camisole with built-in underwire. (Dillards.com)
Designer Lines That Accommodate Larger Women (but Are Not Officially Plus-Size)
Banana Republic: Versatile not-so-basic basics. (Sizes 00 to 16, sizes XS to XL; BananaRepublic.com)
Cultivating a healthy body image is important to Sage (she advises middle-school girls). A whirl of taffeta, sexy yet covered (Rickie Freeman for Teri Jon, $640), enhances her hourglass shape.
Charles Nolan: One of our favorite high-end options for office-to-evening style. (Sizes 2 to 16; Saks.com)
Chico's: Travelers by Chico's sports a wrinkle-resistant fabric. (Sizes 0 to 3.5, comparable to 4 to 18; Chicos.com)
Hilton Hollis: Beautiful blouses and other underpinnings in rich colors. (Sizes 0 to 16, Gus Mayer, Birmingham, Alabama; 205-870-3300)
The Limited: We love the gray pinstriped suit from the L3 Travel Collection—it's machine washable! (Sizes 0 to 18, sizes XS to XL; TheLimited.com)
Rickie Freeman for Teri Jon: Dramatic evening dresses, like their taffeta dress with a fitted waist. (Sizes 2 to 16, Neiman Marcus; 800-365-7989)
Thomas Pink: Known for tailored shirts. (Sizes 0 to 16; ThomasPink.com)
Earrings, Nordstrom Crystal Collection. Clutch, Rodo.
Printed from Oprah.com on Monday, December 9, 2013
© 2012 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.