"Most suits are like boxes," volunteer Hilary Harper, 29, says. But not the handsome cut of this denim-look jacket and pants (Rafaella, $100 and $78). "You can see I have a figure!"
- Calvin Klein can be counted on for office basics. (Select Bloomingdale's stores; 800-555-7467)
- Ellen Tracy is a source for modern, appropriate workwear. (Select Saks Fifth Avenue stores; 877-612-7257)
- AK Anne Klein is known for stylish day wear. (Macy's; 800-622-9748
- Kate Hill makes one of our favorite work suits—a single-breasted jacket with a wide-legged trouser. (Lord and Taylor; 800-223-7440)
- Rafaella carries updated classics that also work as separates. (Select Macy's stores; 800-622-9748)
- Semantiks is useful for fall suits, like its stylish day-to-evening tweed pantsuit. (Nordstrom.com) Shell, Z from Zenobia, $525. Watch, Cartier. Bangles, Coomi. Shoes, Banana Republic.