Why you'll love the look: Because it's bold, glamorous, and a little unexpected. This season's spectrum of grapes, violets, and mauves includes options for lips and eyes (shown here) as well as nails.
How you'll wear it: One product at a time. These are rich colors, so you don't want to binge on them. Alternate between tawny plum lips and a sheer violet eyeshadow. Or try a dark purple mascara one day (Clarins Wonder Length Mascara in Wonder Plum, $24, gives just a touch more color than a brown) and fig nail polish the next. Shades that veer toward raspberry are ideal for pale skin (anything too lilac has blue tones that could make skin look bruised); warm maroons are most flattering on olive complexions; and deep, dramatic purples complement dark skin tones.
- Laura Mercier Eye Colour in Kir Royal, $22.
- Avon Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in Vintage Vamp, $6.50.
- L'Oréal HIP Jelly Balm in Luscious, $9.
- Clarins Colour Quartet in So Chic, $39.
- Shiseido Silky Eye Shadow Quad in Rose Tones, $35.
- Bourjois So Rouge Lipstick in Rouge Hype, $15.