Photo: Digital Vision/Thinkstock
Bradley Bayou, a couture fashion designer with an atelier in Beverly Hills, lists the top 10 trends for summer and explains how every shape and size can wear them.
1. Floral Prints
Floral prints are a great way to add a feminine touch to your outfit—mixing a hard edge, maybe a little rock 'n' roll, with a feminine touch makes for a very sexy silhouette.
Things to remember in picking your printed pieces:
- Scale: Pick a print that matches the scale of your frame. For example, if you are petite, choose a small and delicate print, or if you have a large frame, pick a larger print.
- Your Body Shape: This trend will work on every body, no matter what your height or weight—just be sure to use it to your advantage. A print is a focal point of an outfit and will draw attention to wherever you place it, so use it to show off your assets!
- For triangles, place the print on your upper body to balance your hips and draw attention to your face.
- If you are an inverted triangle, place the print on your bottom half to balance your broad shoulders.
- Rectangles can put prints on either their top or bottom—just be sure to balance your silhouette by pairing it with a piece that is cut to bring out your hips or shoulders...this will create the illusion of a defined waist.
- An hourglass shape can pull off a printed dress, top or bottom, but she has to remember to make sure her waist is defined, and that her top and bottom are balanced.
Although hot pants and boy shorts were big on the runway, they are not for everyone—but, you can
find a pair of shorts that will work best for you. A great pair of shorts paired with a blazer and a button-down is a good way to spice up your summer work gear...or pair them with a sexy top and a pair of heels, and you're ready to hit the town!
- If you are an inverted triangle or a triangle, choose a short with pleats and fuller legs—this will balance an inverted triangle and minimize a triangle frame.
- If you are petite and have nice legs, go for a short-short—this will make your legs appear longer and ,you taller.
- If you are tall or long-waisted, pick a longer, more flowing short. The added length on your shorts will balance your frame.
- And if you've got some extra curves, a longer, more flowing short will give you some coverage and be most slenderizing. Just be sure to pick one that stops at a small point in your leg—like at your lower thigh, where it is narrower.