September 2009's Best Beauty Products
From left to right:
- 1 Le Bateleur (The Magician) will remind you of the rich, sweet scent of hot vapor coming off an angel food cake
- 3 L'Impératrice (The Empress) has the delicate smell of a pink rose candy, but gets richer and more mellow as you wear it
- 6 L'Amoureux (The Lovers) conjures a lemon mousse, both tart and sweet
- 10 La Roue de la Fortune (The Wheel of Fortune) smells like a ripe, sweet plum torte
- 18 La Lune (The Moon), most elegant of all, is mysterious and pale, the smell of a garden in the cool dark, of slightly chilled flowers, asleep. It's a perfect scent for fall.
Next: New scents from Issey Miyake, Marc Jacobs...
- On a chilly, gray fall morning, you can slip into a hot summer day with Benefit Laugh With Me Lee Lee ($36; Sephora.com), a sunny, citrus-drenched scent of sugared lemonade and blackberry pie (there is the slightest hint of flaky crust).
- A Scent by Issey Miyake ($89; department stores) is like clean, clear air blown over fields of snow and ice, carrying the scent of frozen crystals and a fresh balsam tree.
- American Beauty Beloved Red Rose ($40; Kohls.com) invokes a breeze that has picked up the green notes of grassy meadows and passed through a hedge of young roses, just opening in May.
- Lola Marc Jacobs ($65; Bloomingdales.com) explodes with vivid fruit. Each one seems lit up. Wearing Lola is like walking through Times Square and smelling the thousands of purple, orange, and lemon gas-plasma lights.
Next: L'Oréal's limited edition lip-gloss, and more of the month's best beauty buys
Makeup artist Sonia Kashuk, on the other hand, has consistently delivered little innovations that have made our beauty burden easier to carry. (She's the one who came up with a mascara that has an eyeliner on the other end.) "I'm always thinking about portability and simplicity," she says. She recently stopped by the O office to show us her very smart Magnet Travel Brush Set ($17; Target.com), which contains one slender, silver multipurpose handle along with seven full-size interchangeable magnetic brush heads, including blush, eyeshadow, lash/brow, and lip brushes. The heads fit securely onto the handle with a satisfying magnetic snap; the whole thing comes in a soft silver case you could easily fit into a pocket (or a compact makeup bag). No U-Haul necessary. — Valerie Monroe
Photo: Stephanie Hutson, The Finest Accessories, Inc.
More from the O beauty department: