"I've spent my life obsessing about silhouette, shape, and proportion," says fashion designer Scott, who is 40-something and 6'3". She believes in clothes that "transcend the day-night difference"—like this exquisitely fitted leaf-pattern sheath. And a hemline at or below the knee is a Scott signature.
If you're tall...
- Be fussy about fit. Sleek is best; lots of fabric over a large area starts looking like a circus tent.
- Experiment with prints. They make a long, lean body seem curvier.
- Be wary of minis. They can make you look as if your skirt shrunk.
- Choose eclectic shoes. Stilettos? Sure, but kitten heels and pointy flats are cool, too.
- Go wide. Horizontal details that shorter women avoid—square necks, ankle-strap shoes, crosswise stripes—are fine for you.