Kristin Chenoweth, actress and singer
Being 4'11" and 92 pounds is a fashion challenge. "Women roll their eyes at this, but having boobs and no torso is tricky to dress," says Chenoweth, 41, who starred in Broadway's Wicked and the more recent TV series Pushing Daisies. This strapless satin number has a leg-lengthening Empire waist, and the skirt is poufy but scaled down, so it doesn't overwhelm her. Even boots can party if they're fancy enough.
If you're petite...
- Get leggy. Embrace shorter skirts and sheerer hose (long hems and opaque tights can weigh you down).
- Keep heels moderate. Really high ones make small women look as if they're on stilts.
- Accessorize discreetly. Big, brash jewelry is too much for a pint-sized frame.
- Be bare somewhere. A strategic show of skin is essential. Covering up from head to foot is a fast route to Lilliputia.
More: More style strategies for those 5 foot 4 inches and under
- Turn up the volume. Modest puffery below the waist (pleats, flounces, bubble hem) can balance a larger bust or camouflage wide hips—or both.