Gabourey Sidibe, actress
Sidibe, 26, the breakout star of Precious, the acclaimed indie film about an abused Harlem teenager, is discovering the difficulties of dressing for the red carpet. "There are not a lot of options for girls my size," she says. But this gorgeous dress and arm-camouflaging sequin capelet are youthful, chic and slimming. "I feel sexy in clothes that cup me at the bust, then fly out," says Sidibe.
If you're full-figured...
- Draw the eye up. A show of skin at the neck or chest shifts the focus from body to face.
- Support yourself. Invest in a good bra with convertible straps (so you can wear it invisibly under a variety of necklines).
- Keep it simple. Eschew ruffles and frills, which add bulk.
- Stay in the black. We're not saying zero color, but deeper, darker tones take off pounds.
More: The best (affordable) brands for larger sizes
- Layer lightly. A coat or jacket will make you look bigger; a capelet or shawl offers equally good coverage without tacking on inches.