Sidibe, 26, the breakout star of Precious, the acclaimed indie film about an abused Harlem teenager, is discovering the difficulties of dressing for the red carpet. "There are not a lot of options for girls my size," she says. But this gorgeous dress and arm-camouflaging sequin capelet are youthful, chic and slimming. "I feel sexy in clothes that cup me at the bust, then fly out," says Sidibe.
If you're full-figured...
- Draw the eye up. A show of skin at the neck or chest shifts the focus from body to face.
- Support yourself. Invest in a good bra with convertible straps (so you can wear it invisibly under a variety of necklines).
- Keep it simple. Eschew ruffles and frills, which add bulk.
- Stay in the black. We're not saying zero color, but deeper, darker tones take off pounds.
- Layer lightly. A coat or jacket will make you look bigger; a capelet or shawl offers equally good coverage without tacking on inches.
More: The best (affordable) brands for larger sizes