Photo: Fernando Milani
A late night (or two), dehydration, or allergies can cause the delicate blood vessels under your eyes to leak fluid and create swelling. And as we age, the fibrous bands underneath the eyes weaken, causing fat pads to protrude.
To Make The Problem Disappear...
The Tool Kit
Illuminating Liquid Concealer Pen (Try Sephora Collection Smoothing & Brightening Concealer, $14, Sephora.com): To make the hollow area beneath the bags look less deep (which will make puffiness appear less prominent), the color should be two shades brighter than your natural skin tone.
Soft Brown Eyeshadow (likfe Illamasqua Powder Eye Shadow in Heroine, $20, Sephora.com): Look for matte shadows; shimmer can accentuate fine lines or crepiness.
Volumizing Mascara (like CoverGirl LashPerfection Mascara, $6, drugstores): Lush lashes distract from swelling beneath the eyes.
1. Fill in gaps in your brows with short, feathery strokes of a pencil. Strong brows draw attention up and away from bags under the eyes.
2. Pat an illuminating concealer on the shadowy line just under the puffiness. Blend the cream toward your nose, not upward.
3. Blend a soft brown eyeshadow over your lids, from upper lashline to just above the crease. The color contours your lids, which helps offset the appearance of puffiness below the eyes.
4. Dot a bronzy brown shadow along the upper and lower lashlines. This will help define the eyes, making swelling underneath less noticeable.
5. Our model (above) is wearing false lashes. For a similar effect, apply two coats of black mascara to the upper lashes. Brush any excess along the lower ones.
More Beauty Advice
From the December 2011 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
We Hear You!