Photo: Greg Broom
Break the black habit with a fresh, useful new neutral: forest or hunter green (dark enough to go with almost any color).
Counter-clockwise; from top right:
1. It's patently obvious that this glossy, sensibly priced shopper is perfect for work. Antonio Melani, $219; Dillard’s; 800-345-5273
2. A small fold-over shoulder bag offers more capacity than you'd think. Cute, too. Kipling, $178; Kipling-USA.com
3. Fashion-savvy ruffles make an everyday bag flirtatious. Rampage Handbags, $198; Endless.com
4. This classy tote packs low-key color as well as space for papers, a cell phone, even a laptop. Liz Claiborne New York, $95; 800-622-9748
5. Overlapping folds secured with stylish gold studs create intriguing texture on the handles. Diane von Furstenberg, $595; 646-486-4800
6. One of the bag's decorative straps (zippers are the latest hip trim) can double as a belt! Rebecca Minkoff, $630; SaksFifthAvenue.com
More from O's Fall Fashion Handbook
From the September 2009 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
We Hear You!