For the biggest night in Hollywood, Oscar®-worthy hair is a must. Celebrity stylist Umberto shares his secrets to creating a beautiful hair performance for Oscar night—or any night you want to go glam! You'll be the star of the party!
- Luminous Locks: Get your hair trimmed several weeks leading up to the big night so your hair will be healthy and split-end free.
- Up or Down? Updos can often be too severe. Half-up, half-down styles or off the face look polished and beautiful and will last throughout the night (and morning).
- Old Hollywood: For medium-length hair, try finger waves or soft waves—think Veronica Lake. For off the face, try a loose half-back style with a bit of height.
- Screen Goddess: For long hair, get romantic with cascading curls in a low ponytail, leaving a few waves out to frame the face.
- The Ingenue: Create a polished look for short hair by keeping hair sleek and smooth with a strong side part or it all brushed back. Finish off with a skinny headband or clip.
- Part to Play: Many times your gown can be the guide to your hairstyle. A strapless silhouette may look best with long, loose waves, but a low plunging back calls for a soft and natural looking updo.
- Camera Ready: If you color treat your hair, plan a touch-up close to the big event—film and photographs will accentuate regrowth.
- Achieve Perfection: Wear a button-down shirt while doing your ‘do. This will ensure that your hair will still be a masterpiece when slipping into your red carpet-worthy gown.
- Be Yourself: There is a fine line between glamorous and overdone. Do something too trendy or drastic, and you might regret the photos that surface.
- Life of the Party: Make sure to add a bit of sparkle to your hairstyle with a beautiful clip or vintage comb or pin for a sensational look for the red carpet or your own Oscar bash.
Printed from Oprah.com on Friday, March 7, 2014
© 2014 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.