Menswear staples get a smart, feminine spin. A cotton dress shirt is all business up front and elaborately smocked in back; the black silk vest comes attached to long white cotton lapels. Tapered trousers, roomy in the hips, have a single crisp pleat on each leg. An ultrathin cashmere scarf and oversize square bracelets inject personality.
8 Musts for a Modernist Wardrobe:
- A white shirt: straight lines
- A sleeveless blouse: voluminous; shiny; solid color
- A jacket: clean lines; single-breasted; narrow lapels; strong shoulders
- A vest: worn over a shirt or as part of a multilayered look
- A cardigan: boxy shape; cashmere or wool
- Trousers: structured; tab front; no cuffs
- A skirt: straight-cut; no frills
- A dress: knee- or floor-length; tailored; easy fabrics
Shirt, $365, and vest, $385, both Kal Rieman. Trousers, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, $90. Scarf, J.Crew. Bracelets, Raffaella Mannelli and Flutter by Jill Golden.