Kay Unger has been a force in the fashion industry for decades as a designer and entrepreneur. Her brands, Kay Unger New York and Phoebe Couture, are sold at high-end retailers worldwide and are known for their feminine designs, vibrant colors and flattering fit. Jean talks with Kay about how she got her start in fashion and how she found success.
Kay also shares her advice on how to shop during unpredictable economic times:
- First, shop in your own closet. Take pictures of your clothing, print them out, and have fun mixing and matching the photos. This way you can enjoy the fun of shopping without overspending, Kay says.
- Next, "window shop" online. Again, Kay suggests printing out the items you love to see which will best enhance your current wardrobe.
- Look at your calendar. Where you're going will help you decide what you need to buy, Kay says.
- Now that you have a plan, it's time to hit the stores! Be sure to bring your printed photos or keep them stored digitally in a camera or cell phone.
- Buy a great dress in black or navy that you can dress up or down. "Buy something that you can camouflage that will take you lots of places," she says.
- Get one fabulous jacket that's fun, not serious. Wear it over a dress, with jeans or with black pants that you already own to create new looks. "That makes you feel great," Kay says.