Dr. Nicholas Perricone
shares his secrets for healthier skin, and a mind and body makeover to boot!
Secrets to an Age-Defying Diet
Inflammation is at the basis of age-related diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, auto immune disease, and wrinkled, sagging skin. The wrong foods—such as sugar, processed foods, pasta, breads, pastry and baked goods—can increase levels of the pro-inflammatory peptides.
Learn more about the harmful links between stress and skin inflammation.
- Sugar is the number one enemy. It causes inflammation that destroys our bodies and attaches to collagen, which results in stiff, inflexible, sagging skin. Controlling our blood sugar level and insulin levels will improve our health and give us beautiful, youthful skin.
- The anti-inflammatory diet consists of high quality protein, like that found in fish, colorful fresh fruits and vegetables, and adequate amounts of good fat, like that found in salmon, flax, nuts, seeds and olive oil.
- Our skin is a perfect reflection of our internal health and when our skin visibly improves from this anti-inflammatory lifestyle, we automatically reduce our risk of age-related disease and body weight normalizes.
- Eating hot peppers can relieve various types of headaches, such as cluster headaches, migraines and sinus headaches.
- Essential fatty acids are necessary for elevated mood, beautiful skin, healthy immune system, increased mental clarity and normalizing weight (you need to eat fat to burn fat).
- Coffee (and it's not the caffeine) can result in elevated levels of cortisol and insulin, leading to weight gain. Remember, elevated insulin puts a lock on body fat. If you substitute green tea for coffee, and do nothing else differently, you will lose 10 pounds in six weeks.
- We must drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day to maintain health and beautiful skin, as all biochemical reactions in the body take place in the presence of water.