Kim Vernon, 40
president and CEO of Vernon Company consulting firm
"I hesitate to buy clothes that need tailoring—who has an extra five minutes?"
- Kim tears out magazine pages for inspiration and makes calls in advance to locate difficult-to-find items.
- For more attention from salespeople, she hits stores on weekdays just after the doors open or uses a personal shopper.
- Kim bulks up her wardrobe in January and July, when merchandise gets marked down. The rest of the time, her browsing is event driven.
- Kim often wears a skirt with tights to try on items, ensuring that she's never self-conscious and undergarments lie smooth beneath the clothes.
- It's important to shop in an outfit that communicates your style, says Kim. When you walk into a boutique, the salespeople will immediately get an idea of your taste.