O contributing editor and fashion consultant
"I don't like to get caught up in trends, and I don't like to waste money."
- To avoid accumulating environmentally unfriendly shopping bags, Eve always carries a fabric tote.
- She skips the heavy purse and zips her wallet, keys, and cell phone into her anorak pockets.
- After her kids go to bed, Eve shops online; she justifies shipping and handling charges by thinking of the gas money she's saving.
- Eve always asks herself three questions before buying: "Will I get more than one season out of it? Does it go with what I already own? Is this really me?"
- Everyone has body issues that can make shopping unpleasant. When Eve finds shoes that fit her narrow feet, she's happy to splurge on them in a few different colors.
- Hang on to classics like pants, blazers, and skirts, says Eve, who finds quality basics at J.Crew, Club Monaco, and Target. Home in on well-constructed pieces you can wear several ways—for example, a blouse that you could pair with jeans and flats or a pencil skirt and heels.