I'm finally getting around to cleaning out my closet, but I'm indecisive about what to keep. How do I make this process painless?
Painless, no. Ruthless, yes—you've got to be tough and thorough. My rules:
Allow an entire day.
Focus on the current season's clothing (in this case, you're probably confronting fall-winter).
Try on everything in front of a full-length mirror.
Be brutally honest: If it no longer fits your body or your life (or if you haven't worn it in two years), out
. Your "keepers" will probably be classics with staying power.
Here are the essentials for this time of year:
- Jacket or blazer
- Cashmere cardigan
- Winter coat
- Two dresses: one black, one wrap
- Three pairs of pants: denim, tailored, day-to-evening
- Skirt, whatever shape works best on your body
- White shirt, preferably no-iron stretch cotton
- Lightweight T-shirts and tops
- Sweaters and knits
- Four types of shoes: flats, daytime heels, boots, and evening
- Three bags: day, weekend, evening