Left to right, from top left
1. CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Brightening Eyeshadow Palette in Radiant Blues
($7.50; drugstores): A rich cobalt looks beautiful smudged along the upper lashline.
2. Shiseido Luminizing Satin Eye Color in Solaris
($25; department stores): Saffron yellow is gorgeous on dark skin—see the photo at right for proof.
3. Sephora Colorful Mono Eyeshadow in Tango Night
): This shadow works beautifully when wet (as a dramatic liner) or dry (as a sheer wash over the lids).
4. Flirt! Dreamy Eyes Eyeshadow in Aztec Aqua
): A true teal with a touch of sheen flatters all complexions.
5. Shiseido Luminizing Satin Eye Color in Fresco
($25; department stores): This shadow is finely milled to create a soft blue shade that melts over lids.
6. CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Brightening Eyeshadow Palette in Radiant Blues
($7.50; drugstores): Blend a shimmery beige under your browbone to offset a bold color on your lids.
7. Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow in Night Butterfly
($56; department stores): This color is saturated, but with a hint of shimmer to brighten the whites of your eyes.
8. Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eyeshadow Quad in Wildflower
($7; drugstores): A purple so subtle, it's almost a neutral.
9. MAC Eye Shadow in Violet Trance
): One layer leaves a wash of soft lavender; two or three create a deep blue-purple.
How to: Get the step-by-step guide to play with colorful eyeshadow
Next: 6 rosy blushes