Ever wonder what it would be like to have no wrinkles? Dr. Mike Roizen finds out firsthand by receiving a Botox injection from plastic surgeon Dr. Arthur Perry…right in the studio! Dr. Roizen describes the procedure, a non-surgical treatment that can temporarily smooth moderate to severe frown lines between the brows, as Dr. Perry shares with Dr. Oz the basics of Botox.
"What it feels like is there are a bunch of pins that have gone in … that give you a little pinch, or a little bite, and then the pinch is gone in about 10 seconds and nothing is left," Dr. Roizen says. "I'm afraid to move so [Dr. Perry] doesn't miss where he's going!"
Facts about Botox from Dr. Arthur Perry:
- Botox is the most popular procedure in cosmetic surgery today.
- Botox should only be administered by a highly trained physician and is available only by prescription, Dr. Perry says.
- Results appear two to three weeks after a patient receives Botox injections. The patient should return to his or her doctor for a follow-up visit, at which point they may receive additional injections to fine-tune the appearance.
- Some side effects following a Botox injection may include temporary eyelid droop, tenderness, swelling, redness and/or bleeding/bruising, Dr. Perry says.
- Botox injections last between two to six months. A typical repeat patient will receive three treatments per year.
- The longer you receive Botox injections, the longer the results last.
- Scientists aren't sure why, but 7 percent of people do not respond to Botox at all.