Q: What are your three major summer-style turnoffs?
A: Heat and humidity seem to breed bad taste—it's as if people's fashion sense goes on vacation. Specific kvetches? I don't know if I can stop at three…
1. Exposed bra straps are sloppy on all but the young and hip.
2. Oversize men's T-shirts in weird colors like melon—this is tragic in a season of shaped, sophisticated tees that have real style.
3. The golfing look gone off course—garish polo shirts tucked in to pleated, belted shorts and, to top it off, a visor (Mom, are you reading?). I'm all for sporty pieces on the street, but you have to mix them with real clothes. Shorts on adult women in general are ghastly; wear cropped pants instead.
4. "Fun" summer jewelry—cheap plastic bangles, cheesy shells, big colored balls bobbing around the neck…
5. Nude hosiery with open-toe shoes—the webbed-foot look.
6. Worn-out flip-flops that look as though you've tramped from London to Ipanema. Footwear this flimsy gets old fast.
Printed from Oprah.com on Wednesday, December 4, 2013