In honor of Father's Day, makeup artist Damone Roberts is offering his confidence-boosting solutions for men. Ask Damone your question.
What advice do you have for men? I want a way to spruce myself up without it looking feminine or too polished.
— Michael, age 32, from New York
You ask a very common question that I get a lot in the streets from all types of men. I decided to do a list of the top 10 ways a man can take things up a notch in the world of grooming without looking "too done."
1. Trim the nose hairs. This is something very basic that makes a world of difference. Many companies make nose hair clippers for a moderate price (Panasonic Nose Clipper, 101Shavers.com, $8.99). Believe me when I tell you this is something that people do notice.
2. Trim the eyebrows. I actually even recommend getting them professionally cleaned (not shaped) to open up the eyes. Remember to brush them up before you leave for the day (Damone Roberts Brow Gel, DamoneRoberts.com, $20), as this opens up the eye, keeping the face more alert.
3. Clean the hair off your ears and neck. This is something your barber can do for you monthly that gives the appearance of good grooming. The sight of long ear hairs, or neck hair going into the collar of your shirt, is never appealing.
4. Keep your nails short and clean. Dirty, long fingernails require no explanation as to why they don't work. If your budget or schedule permits, try a monthly manicure/pedicure to have someone take care of this for you. I also recommend buffing your nails as a way to keep the healthy shine without looking artificial.
5. Brush and floss your teeth daily. I've always believed that it doesn't matter if your teeth are not perfectly straight and white, but please keep them clean. It is rather unappealing to talk to someone and see built up plaque or food stuck between their teeth. I know this one seems simple, but trust me when I tell you to take nothing for granted.
6. Have your clothes tailored to fit your body. This is a big one, as no matter what your shape is, the right fit makes everything look so much better.
7. Stand up straight. Mom always told us that posture was important, and she was right. You create a sense of confidence and pride when standing tall, showing everyone you are secure in the man you are.
8. Cleanse your face on a regular basis with a facial soap. I have so many male friends who use the same soap on their body that they use on their face. Most body soaps are too strong for the face. You must invest in a cleanser that is just for the face (Zirh Clean Tube, HighlandMenscare.com, $15), as the facial skin is much more sensitive than the skin on the body.
9. Remember, less is more when it comes to fragrance. It's all right to smell good, but everyone doesn't have to smell it. Fragrance is such a personal preference, and you really must find the one that works best for you. Just remember not to bathe in it.
10. Match your belt to your shoes. This one is really simple and makes a world of difference. If you are wearing black shoes, you don't wear a brown belt. I'm not saying you need to be a fashion plate, but this basic tip makes everything you wear look that much better.