If you're tired of settling in with your old friends TV and Remote after a long day, click your way to these inspiring and challenging Websites instead.
1. Discover what your brain does (and doesn't!) perceive: Mind Lab
2. Listen to moving stories from ordinary people interviewed by their loved ones: StoryCorps.org
3. Take part in real-life cognitive research projects, and learn where your mental strengths lie: TestMyBrain.org
4. Do you see what others see? Find out with this interactive color test: XRrite.com; click on Color IQ box.
5. Play weirdly wonderful games (be a pelican diving for fish! knock out the spiders that want your cake!) with incongruously soothing soundtracks: FerryHalim.com
6. Surf the web on a guided tour eerily tailored to your tastes and interests, with an ever-changing Shuffle-like assortment of entertaining sites: StumbleUpon.com
7. Test your vocabulary while fighting world hunger (for every word you define correctly, the site makes a donation to the UN's World Food Programme): FreeRice.com
Next: 5 more ways to discover the best of the web (no Googling required)
From the September 2010 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine
We Hear You!