Law enforcement officers make an incredible difference in your community. Every day they put their lives on the line to protect you, your neighbors, and your loved ones. Show appreciation, thank them for their valuable service, and tell them the impact they have on the lives of the people in your community. Who knows? Maybe the next officer who pulls you over will be the one to whom you gave the thank-you note...just a thought.
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- When you see law enforcement officers in uniform, walk up and thank them for the job they do in keeping you and your community safe.
- Pull your car to your right and out of the way when you hear a siren or see a police car approaching with its lights on.
- Organize your friends, co-workers, neighborhood, or child's classroom to create and deliver a thank-you card to your local law enforcement agency, police station, or town sheriff.
- Organize your family or a group of friends to go with you.
- Donate to law enforcement benefits and causes.
- Support or start a Neighborhood Watch program in your community.
- Always report crime.
- Over 699,000 sworn officers and almost 318,000 civilian officers protect and serve the citizens of the U.S.
- Over 14 million arrests occur annually for all offenses, except traffic violations.
- Each year:
- Over 59,000 officers are assaulted while performing their duties.
- Over 57 are killed—their average age is 37.
- Over 23 million people are victimized by violent and property crimes.
- There has been a 58% decline in violent crimes and 52% decline in property crimes over the last 12 years.