TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Read a book you've never read before. If you don't have one on your shelf, go to the library, local bookstore, or order one online.
- Join a book club or start one with your friends or co-workers.
- Give books to people as gifts...especially this one!
- 1 in 4 Americans don't read a single book per year, while the average person reads 7.
- More than half of today's adults are literary readers, meaning they read novels, mysteries, contemporary and classic fiction, short stories, plays, or poetry.
- Leisure reading has increased 10% over the last 6 years for all ethnicities.
- 58% of women read for leisure compared to 50% of men.
- 43% of all literary readers perform volunteer and charity work compared to 17% of non-literary readers. The more books people read the more active and involved they are in their communities through volunteerism, philanthropy, and politics.
- Book buying constitutes less than 6% of total recreational spending while spending on music, videos, computers, and software constitutes roughly 25%.