If everyone gives up their birthday gifts this year, more than $3 billion dollars can be donated to worthy causes or needy people. Friends and family donating money in your name can be much more rewarding than getting material gifts. Giving is a lot more gratifying than receiving, no matter the occasion. Read Keisha Whitaker's blog!TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Select a charity, cause, or purpose you wish to support. Or, support the Every Monday Matters Foundation.
- Decide which holiday or occasion for which you would like your friends and family to make a donation instead of giving you a gift.
- Provide your friends and family with the proper charity information to make their giving easier—website, phone number, or address.
- If there is not a specific reason for having a party, make one up. Simply have guests bring a food dish or beverage along with money for your charity of choice or for someone in need.
Every week in the U.S. there are:
- 5,890,775 birthdays
- 41,154 weddings
- 82,788 births
- Birthdays are the #1 reason people celebrate.
- There are millions of other gift-giving/receiving occasions every year, such as bat and bar mitzvahs, graduations, funerals, retirements, and debutante balls.
- Every year, nearly 140 million people purchase and/or receive a gift card with an average value of $59.
- $832 is the average amount spent annually on holiday gifts.
More Ways to Make Your Mondays Matter