Illustration: Jillian Tamaki
Read 10 inspiring quotes on happiness
- "Surely there must be some way to find a husband or, for that matter, merely an escort, without sacrificing one's privacy, self-respect, and interior decorating scheme." —Barbara Ehrenreich
- "It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy; it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others." —Jane Austen, "Sense and Sensibility"
- "When you love someone, you do not love them all the time, in exactly the same way, from moment to moment. It is an impossibility. It is even a lit to pretend to. And yet this is exactly what most of us demand. We have so little faith in the ebb and flow of life, of love, of relationships. We leap at the flow of the tide and resist in terror its ebb. We are afraid it will never return." —Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- "Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice-it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are prefect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and die. The storybooks are bullshit. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and get in my bed." —Ronny Cammareri, in "Moonstruck"
- "Men always want to be a woman's first love. That is their clumsy vanity. We women have a more subtle instinct about things. What we like is to be a man's last romance." —Oscar Wilde,"A Woman of No Importance"
Published on March 19, 2010