Mentor a Child
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Find a mentoring program near you and apply to become a mentor.
- Most mentoring programs will pair you with a child based on your skill set and the child's needs.
- If you have your own children or know children who could use a mentor, be a self-starter and create your own mentoring program.
- Once a week, spend an hour or two with your mentee doing everyday activities like homework, playing sports, and having simple conversation.
- Set goals with your mentee and share in the excitement of their achievement and growth.
- 3 million children are currently enrolled in a mentoring program.
- 15 million youth are in need of mentoring. If they don't get it, they're more likely to not reach adulthood successfully. These youth are:
- 73% more likely to begin using alcohol
- 63% more likely to skip a class
- 54% more likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 48% more likely to skip school
- Mentors help children develop self-confidence, relationship skills, and a positive attitude toward school.
- Nearly 70% of inner city 4th-graders are unable to read at a basic level.
- 1 out of 3 public high-school students won't graduate.
- 1 in 5 teens seriously considers suicide annually, approximately 1 million attempt suicide, and between 1,000 and 2,000 of these attempts are fatal.