Dr. Phil says that forgiveness is what you do for yourself, not for other people. When you forgive, it doesn't mean that you approve of what's happened; instead, it means that you're giving yourself permission to move on with your life.
Dr. Phil's Advice to Cope with the Past
- The pain of what happened is inevitable, but continuing to suffer is optional.
- For some people, making peace happens suddenly and spontaneously. For others, it takes much effort and time. There is no "right" timeline for recovery.
- Find meaning in what happened. Discover some wisdom from your experience, and share it with others.
- Don't expect a success-only journey. People can thrive and suffer at the same time.
- While the pain may never completely disappear, you can find a new sense of strength and a renewed appreciation for life, as long as you're willing to make the effort.