As with most things, balance is the key. Being able to express ourselves, finding personal time, and making sure to embrace joyous moments are all great ways to find this healthy balance.
11 Ways to Take Care of Yourself
- Create a personal mission statement for your life. Make sure what you do each day is in line with your values and priorities.
- Avoid the urge to multi-task. Concentrate on just one thing at a time. Completing a project can really boost your mood!
- If someone is pushing your buttons, walk away from the situation. Getting sucked into someone else's bad mood does neither of you any good.
- Learn to say no without feeling guilty.
- Give yourself permission to be imperfect, and allow family and friends the same parameters.
- Play hooky. Everyone deserves and needs to drop out for a day every now and then. Take time for yourself just relaxing and doing nothing.
- Eat a food you yearned for when you were a kid. Feeling deprived can get a quick fix with something as simple as eating a "forbidden food." Just remember to wipe the smile and the chocolate off your face before you have to go back to the real world.
- Spend time with your girlfriends doing something silly. Try on outlandish clothes, see a movie, take a road trip—give yourself permission to play for a day.
- Get a manicure or pedicure and wallow in the luxury! If this doesn't fit your budget, see if one of your kids (even a niece or nephew) wants to make you feel like queen for a day!
- Learn a new skill. Take music lessons, or look into adult-education classes for painting or jewelry making. Do something you know nothing about and watch yourself grow.
- Remember that creating time for yourself will make you a better caregiver for others. There is no room for guilt in the equation.