Many people want to make a change in their lives but don't know what steps to take to make it happen. Jean talks to husband-and-wife team Bob and Melinda Blanchard, authors of Changing Your Course: The 5-Step Guide to Getting the Life You Want
, about how you can change your
Married for more than 35 years, Bob and Melinda are well-versed on the subject of teamwork. After both quitting their jobs in social work, they began starting their own businesses together so they could enjoy more time as a couple. After doing everything from making and selling salad dressing out of their kitchen to moving to Anguilla to open a restaurant, Bob and Melinda now hope to help others by sharing the knowledge they have learned over the years.
Bob and Melinda's five-step DREAM process to living what you love:
- Decide what you want to change. Make the decision that you want to implement some sort of change—no one else is going to do that for you, Melinda says.
- Research your options. Do a little background work on how you're going to accomplish the change you're going to make and what your different choices are for reaching your goal.
- Evaluate what you will need to get started, whether it's establishing a nest egg or relying on some resources you already have. "It doesn't always take as much of your own money as you think," Bob says.
- Act to make your plan a reality. Think about how much you are willing to risk to get your dream, Bob says. "We believe in our destiny and believe that we can achieve what we want to achieve."
- Maintain the dream to make sure it lasts. Re-evaluate all the time and take a look at where you are, how you got there and if it's still where you want to be, Bob says. If its not, go back to the first step and make some adjustments.