Just like human beings when they are sick, the earth, too, needs care and healing. Together, people all over the planet can help the earth heal. We must collectively live lighter, be nurturing and consciously help to relieve the burden we have placed on our beautiful and vital home.
Miss the first 12 weeks?
- Get the daily activities for Weeks 1 and 2
- Get the daily activities for Weeks 3 and 4
- Get the daily activities for Weeks 5 and 6
- Get the daily activities for Weeks 7 and 8
- Get the daily activities for Weeks 9 and 10
- Get the daily activities for Weeks 11 and 12
There are simple things we can do to help the earth heal. I have offered suggestions that can be easily incorporated into your life each day this week.
Each one of us must be responsible for the way we live on this planet. The suggestions below are not just for a week—they're for a lifetime.
Make a habit out of recycling, reusing and reinventing.
One of my favorite sayings is: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."
Recycle cans, bottle and paper. This is a no-brainier. Get bins for each and separate as you go about your day.
Find ways to reuse stuff.
- Wash out jars and use them for storing buttons, flour, cat food or anything that fits. Use plastic storage bags more than once.
- Instead of buying a new sweater, update a classic and sew vintage buttons on it.
- Cut up old T-shirts for rags instead of buying paper towels, or sew them into bags to use at the grocery store or farmers' market.
- Instead of paper plates, use the good china.
- Use the million small bottles of shampoo you have been saving from hotels instead of buying more.
- Go through your kitchen and bathroom cabinets and take inventory of what you have and use it. You will not only be saving money, but you will be saving the planet.
Make "green" transportation decisions.
Walk when you can, share a ride with someone, take the train or bus or ride your bike when you want to go places.
Make fewer trips in your car. Make a list of all the errands you need to do, and do them all at once. Try to do them with a friend who also needs to run errands.
Challenge yourself to use less gasoline. Keep track each week of how much gas you use and try to figure out new ways to use less. The less oil we use, the better.
Get your next set of activities for Week 13