Read Keisha Whitaker's blog!
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Locate organizations near you that support the hungry. Find out what they need and help provide it.
- Donate your time and volunteer at a food pantry/distribution center, a local soup kitchen, or a homeless shelter.
- Go through your pantry and gather up canned and dried foods to donate.
- Create or support a local canned food drive.
- Purchase and hand out fast-food gift cards to homeless people. Buy extra cards to have on hand for spontaneous giving.
- The 2nd largest expense for families is food.
- 36.2 million Americans have limited access to enough food due to a lack of money and other resources. 12.4 million of those are children.
- 30% of families are forced to choose between buying food and paying for medical care or medicine.
- Many soup kitchens serve up to 1,000 meals a week. They need volunteers year-round, not just during holidays.
- 1 in 4 people in a soup kitchen line is a child.
- 96 billion pounds of food are wasted each year in the U.S.