Most people don't have to decide between buying food, paying rent, and purchasing medicine or medical care. But, the sad truth is, millions do. Whether you personally donate your time, money, canned foods, or hand out restaurant gift cards, you can be part of the solution. And, as you strive to end hunger, you will gain a new appreciation for the food you have on your table at home...it truly is a blessing.Read Keisha Whitaker's blog!TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Locate organizations near you that support the hungry. Find out what they need and help provide it.
- Donate your time and volunteer at a food pantry/distribution center, a local soup kitchen, or a homeless shelter.
- Go through your pantry and gather up canned and dried foods to donate.
- Create or support a local canned food drive.
- Purchase and hand out fast-food gift cards to homeless people. Buy extra cards to have on hand for spontaneous giving.
- The 2nd largest expense for families is food.
- 36.2 million Americans have limited access to enough food due to a lack of money and other resources. 12.4 million of those are children.
- 30% of families are forced to choose between buying food and paying for medical care or medicine.
- Many soup kitchens serve up to 1,000 meals a week. They need volunteers year-round, not just during holidays.
- 1 in 4 people in a soup kitchen line is a child.
- 96 billion pounds of food are wasted each year in the U.S.
More Ways to Make Your Mondays Matter