TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Offer the elderly you see today simple gestures of courtesy and respect—smile and say "hello," let them have the right of way while driving, or give up your seat in a crowded area.
- Contact a local independent living, assisted living, or continued care facility and ask if they need volunteers. You're likely to find a place to work with seniors closer than you think.
- Ask the facility if children or pets are allowed.
- Organize your family or a group of friends to go with you.
- Be prepared. Volunteering at a senior or elderly care home can involve many types of activities—playing games or cards, reading, doing art and craft projects, singing songs, teaching a class, or just being friendly.
- Ask the seniors questions about their life.
- Have fun!
- The fastest growing age group is 85 years and older.
- Every 7.5 seconds a Baby Boomer turns 60.
- 1 out of 5 people, 72 million, will be 65 years or older by 2030.
- Nearly 23% of people aged 75 and older live in nursing homes.
- Due to the increase in the divorce rate, a decrease in the number of children, and with more families living farther away from one another, family support for the elderly is less available.