TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Set a goal for yourself. Think about what types of benefits you want to achieve. Weight loss? Increased muscle mass? Improved general health?
- Figure out what type of exercise you like most and best suits your desired goal.
- Create a plan. Start with 3 days a week, 30 minutes per day. Try to build up to 4 or 5 days a week, 45 minutes per day.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after exercising.
- Don't buy into excuses like "I don't have enough time" and "I can't afford a gym membership."
- Incorporate exercise into your workday by taking the stairs, walking during your lunch break, and stretching while at your desk.
- Always consult a physician or exercise specialist for safety and guidance.
- More than 50% of adults do not get enough physical activity and 24% are not physically active at all.
- Over 18% of children and 66% of U.S. adults are overweight, with 34% being obese.
- 1 death occurs every 36 seconds from heart disease and strokes.
- 1 in 3 American adults has high blood pressure.
- Over 106 million adults have above normal or high cholesterol levels.
- Roughly 20 million people have depressive disorders.