Get Involved with Foster Kids
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Find a foster care facility near you. Contact them and ask how you can help.
- Sign up as a volunteer and get your family and friends involved.
- Be prepared. Volunteers at a foster care facility can be involved in everything from outside physical activities to arts and crafts.
- Become a foster parent or adopt a child.
- Over 510,000 children are in foster care in the U.S.—their average age is 10.
- Approximately 46% of children are in non-relative foster family homes, 24% are in relative foster homes, 17% are in group homes or institutions, 3% are in pre-adoptive homes, and 10% are in other placement types.
- 40% of the children are white, 32% are black, and 19% are Hispanic.
- 16% of the children in foster care have been in foster care more than 3 years.
- Over 51,000 children are adopted annually from the foster care system.