Use these ideas to inspire you as you brainstorm ways to Pay It Forward. Remember, every little bit helps, so whether you buy someone lunch or buy them a car, you are changing lives!
$0 – $25
It's amazing what a few dollars can do. These ideas won't weigh on your wallet, but will make a huge difference for someone else.
$100 – $200
- Anonymously pay for gas for strangers
- Buy lunch for a homeless person
- Randomly give away a prepaid transit card for a couple of trips on a bus or train
- Volunteer—it costs nothing but means a lot.
- Buy flowers to cheer up a co-worker
- Write letters to troops serving in Iraq
- Clean up a neighborhood park
- Buy a board game for a local children's hospital
Have a little more to spend? There are a lot of ways to change the world.
$1,000 & over
- Invite women living in a shelter to a spa day or treat them to a makeover
- Buy school supplies for a needy school
- Buy coats and hand them out to the homeless
- Buy pet food and supplies for the animals at the pound
- Search your local newspaper for stories about people in need and find a way to help them
- Pick up the tab for a family at a restaurant
- Buy theater tickets for parents with a newborn—then babysit!
- Buy food and prepare meals for the elderly in your neighborhood
Thinking big? You've seen
what $1,000 can do—now it's your turn.
- Buy instruments for a needy school's music class
- Travel to New Orleans and go help build a Habitat home
- Pay for a string quartet to give a concert at a local nursing home
- Donate iPods for soldiers serving in Iraq
- Take a terminally sick friend on a weekend getaway
- Buy a new wardrobe for kids in need
- Help rebuild a home destroyed by a fire
- Make a family's holidays a little brighter by buying all their holiday gifts