You have now identified the obstacles that stand in your way. With Ganesha by your side, you can begin to tackle those obstacles. Next, you'll choose a space to declutter. Not sure which space to start with? Ask yourself the following questions about the spaces you're considering:
- Are there overwhelming quantities of one or two types of items (such as paperwork or clothing) in this space?
- Has cleaning in this space become an impossible chore due to too much stuff?
- Is the floor covered with objects and items you need to put away?
- Are the tops of the desk, tables, chairs, and other furniture hidden beneath piles?
- Is this space lacking a proper filing and/or storage system?
- Has it been more than a month since you've sorted and purged your unneeded items in this space?
If you've answered yes to most or all of these questions, then you know where you need to start. Now it's time to start sorting. Choose one area of that space-start small if you're worried that you won't finish-and ask yourself the following questions as you go through each item in that area:
- When was the last time you used the item?
- Is it a collectible that could be displayed and enjoyed?
- Is the item outdated, or is it usable?
- Are you able to find this item when you need it?
- Is the item beyond repair?
- What is your treasure?