TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Obey speed limit signs. Doing so shows respect for the law, your life, and the lives of others.
- Slow down to give yourself time to avoid hitting debris, animals, and potholes. Potholes cause millions of dollars in damage to cars each year.
- Stay at least one car length behind the vehicle in front of you for every 10 mph you're driving.
- Leave early. Allow enough time to get where you're going.
- Use caution and take appropriate safety measures when driving in extreme weather conditions.
- The #1 killer of people ages 16-24 is car accidents.
- Over 41,000 people die in car accidents each year, and 2.2 million are injured.
- 1 in 5 drivers under the age of 30 is stopped for speeding every year.
- 75% of U.S. drivers admit to driving over the speed limit and 50% determine their speed based on the chance of being stopped by police.
- Over 7 million motor vehicle crashes are reported to police each year.
- 31% of all traffic fatalities have speed as a factor, second only to alcohol (40%) as a cause of fatal crashes.
- With every 10 mph increase in speeds above 50 mph, the impact of the force of the crash is doubled.
- The annual cost of speed-related crashes is $40.4 billion.