There is no substitute for human blood. Human blood is precious and can't be manufactured outside of the body. If you gave blood 4 times a year for the next 10 years, you would save 120 lives. Think of how many lives you could save if you gave blood for the rest of your life! Saving just one life should be convincing enough.
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Find a blood donor location near you and schedule an appointment today.
- Donate blood. The blood donation process takes approximately 30 minutes.
- When you donate, you'll receive a donor card stating your blood type. Keep the card in your wallet.
- Put yourself on a regular donating schedule of once every 56 days.
- If you have type O-negative blood, the universal donor type, your blood is especially needed because it can be used in emergencies.
- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- 38,000 pints of blood are used each day in the U.S.
- Nearly 500 hospitals cancelled elective surgery due to blood inventory shortages.
- Demand for blood is rising much faster than donations. In fact, donations are declining.
- 1 pint of blood can save up to 3 lives—maybe even the life of someone you know.
- 60% of the population is eligible to donate, but only 3.2% do on a yearly basis.
- The #1 reason donors say they give is because they "want to help others."
- Anyone who is in good health, is at least 17 years old, and weighs at least 110 pounds may donate blood every 56 days.