TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Find a blood donor location near you and schedule an appointment today.
- Donate blood. The blood donation process takes approximately 30 minutes.
- When you donate, you'll receive a donor card stating your blood type. Keep the card in your wallet.
- Put yourself on a regular donating schedule of once every 56 days.
- If you have type O-negative blood, the universal donor type, your blood is especially needed because it can be used in emergencies.
- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- 38,000 pints of blood are used each day in the U.S.
- Nearly 500 hospitals cancelled elective surgery due to blood inventory shortages.
- Demand for blood is rising much faster than donations. In fact, donations are declining.
- 1 pint of blood can save up to 3 lives—maybe even the life of someone you know.
- 60% of the population is eligible to donate, but only 3.2% do on a yearly basis.
- The #1 reason donors say they give is because they "want to help others."
- Anyone who is in good health, is at least 17 years old, and weighs at least 110 pounds may donate blood every 56 days.